Sand Sculpting Competition and More Hampton Beach Events
Trucks filled with 200 tons of sand will head to Hampton Beach in mid-June. It’ll be dumped in great piles on the beach near the bandstand, ready for those who will compete in this year’s sand sculpting contest.
These are not doing-it-for-fun sculptors turning packed buckets of sand upside down; they’re professionals who travel the world to vie for prize money by turning sand into works of art. There’s $15,000 at stake in the Hampton Beach invitation-only contest.
“What they do amazes me every year. You never see the same thing,” says Greg Grady, the founder and organizer of the event. He started the event 14 years ago after a sand sculpture he did convinced town officials a sand sculpting contest would be a draw.
And a draw it is. Grady estimates a half-million people see the sculptures from the time the three-day competition starts (June 18 this year) until they’re taken down (July 6). During that time they’re illuminated at night.
In 2012 the “Stairway to Heaven” sculpture (shown here), done by Grady’s son Greg J. Grady, was selected as the “Sculptors Choice.”
Stuff to do this summer at Hampton Beach
- Old Tyme Carnival: June 5-8
- Fireworks displays: Fireworks displays happen every Wednesday night at 9:30 p.m. from June 18-Aug. 31.
- Catamaran Regatta: June 14-15
- 13th Annual Sand Sculpting Competition: June 19-21 Viewing until July 6. Awards Saturday night, June 21, 8 p.m. at the Seashell Stage.
- United States Volleyball Tournament: June 21, July 19 and Aug. 16
- Little Miss Hampton Beach: July 26, 2 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Miss Hampton Beach: July 27, 2 p.m.-5 p.m.
- Children’s Week: August 11-14, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Hampton Beach Talent Competition: August 22-24 7 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Seafood Festival: September 5-7 from 4 p.m.-9 p.m. on Sept. 5, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. on Sept. 6 and 9 a.m.-6 p.m. on Sept. 7